Every year on April 7, World Health Organization (WHO) celebrates World Health Day. This day marks the anniversary of the WHO which was founded in 1948. According to WHO, health is “a resource for everyday life, not the objective of living. Health is a positive concept emphasizing social and personal resources, as well as physical capacities.”
On the other hand, wellness is defined in a number of ways, one of them being, “a state of optimal well-being that is oriented towards maximizing an individual’s potential.”
Let’s talk about Health!
As a general trend and practice, health has two aspects, physical and mental.
A. Physical health refers to a good body health which can be attributed to regular physical activity (exercise), good nutrition, and adequate rest. Physical wellbeing can be achieved by developing all health-related components of the lifestyle. This includes:
- Taking proper nutrition
- Cardiorespiratory endurance
- Managing body weight
- Maintaining proper muscular strength and flexibility
- Refraining from drug abuse
- Avoiding alcohol overuse
- Responsible sexual behavior (sexual health)
- Maintaining hygiene
- Taking proper sleep and rest
B. Mental Health is defined as “a state of well-being in which the individual realizes his or her own abilities, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to his or her community.” A good mental health facilitates the ability to:
- Enjoy life
- Bounce back from adversity
- Achieve balance (moderation)
- Be flexible and adapt
- Safe and secure
- Self-actualization (making the best of what you have)
Ways to keep yourself physically healthy:
- Incorporate physical activity in your daily routine.
- Maintain proper nutrient intake, good fluid intake and healthy digestion.
- Reduce or avoid intake of alcohol or drugs.
- Practice self-care for minor ailments and injuries.
- Taking adequate rest and sleep.
Ways to keep yourself mentally healthy:
- Develop and maintain good relationship with people around you.
- Indulge in activities which interest you.
- Learn new things and develop new attributes.
- Avoid stress triggers, prepare and manage stress.
- Don’t hesitate to ask for help if needed.
World Health Day for 2016
WHO celebrates its founding day anniversary as an opportunity to highlight a current global health priority. For each World Health Day, WHO designates a health challenge or theme in accordance with current health issues within the world. The theme for World Health Day in 2016 is “Beat diabetes” which focuses on raising awareness about diabetes and halting its rise.
- MEDICAL NEWS TODAY. ACCESSED MAR 18, 2015.
- WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION. ACCESSED MAR 18, 2015.
- WORLD HEALTH DAY. ACCESSED MAR 18, 2015.