The summer months in India can be merciless. The blazing relentless sun not only saps you of your energy but also can prompt a number of illnesses. As the mercury soars, your body becomes vulnerable. And it’s only by becoming aware of the health hazards that the sultry weather poses, can you adopt the necessary means to stay at the top of your game all summer.
This is a common affliction of the summer months. Dehydration means outflow of liquids from your body. In the summer, you sweat profusely. And that in conjunction with urination drains your body of the water it needs to perform some vital functions. Dehydration can lead to-
- Disruption of sleep patterns
The indicators of dehydration are:
- A constant feeling of thirst
- Lack of urge to urinate
- Dark-hued urine
The best way to prevent dehydration is to drink plenty of water at regular intervals all throughout the day. Don’t forget to consume refreshing fruits having high water content such as watermelons, guavas, papayas, plums and grapes.
If you feel that you are dehydrated:
- Consume clear water
- You can opt for Oral Rehydration Solutions
- If none of that works, you may have to be hospitalized and doctors will administer fluids intravenously.
In summer, your chances of getting food poisoning go up substantially. This is because warm temperatures are the perfect breeding conditions for many harmful bacteria. If you prepare food well in advance of meal times and keep it out in the heat, bacteria will multiply rapidly and if you consume this food, you will certainly fall sick. Besides, as the temperature soars, your digestive system becomes more sluggish and digestive disorders are sure to follow.
You will know you have a case of food poisoning if you are experiencing:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach cramps
How can you deal with food poisoning?
- Sustain yourself just on fluids especially Oral Rehydration Solutions
- If needed, ask your doctor for medicines or injections
- In extreme cases, you will have to take an intravenous drip
How can you prevent food poisoning?
- Eat only freshly-prepared food
- As long as the temperatures are high, consume stomach friendly foods like simply prepared fresh green vegetables, lentil soup, and vegetable stew. For snacks, you can always turn to fruits and nuts.
- Steer clear of fast foods. Avoid ordering food online or eating out.
Common cough and cold
Yes, you can catch a cold in summers. Certain kinds of virus thrive in warm conditions and they can give you the sniffles. Another reason you may contract the common cough and cold is air conditioners. If you zip in and out of an AC room or office repeatedly, your body will find it difficult to acclimate with the rapid temperature changes.
What are the signs of summer cold?
- Coughing and sneezing
- Sore throat
How can you treat summer cough and cold?
- Have warm soups
- Cough lozenges offer temporary relief
- Breathe in steam to ease chest congestion and a blocked nose
- Take plenty of rest
- Drink fluids
How can you prevent the sniffles?
- Wash your hands before eating
- Keep your household clean and free of bacteria
- Avoid smoking
- If you use public transport and washrooms, remember to wash your hands thoroughly
In the summer months, your body tends to absorb a lot of heat. If your body temperature rises beyond 40-degree Celsius, it could cause a case of heat stroke. If you don’t tend to it right away, it can lead to brain damage and impairment of other organs as well.
What are the symptoms of heat stroke?
- Splitting headache
Treatment of heat strokes
- Get away from the heat and move into a cooler place immediately
- Apply ice packs to your head, armpits, groin, neck and back to lower your body temperature
- Consult a doctor who will give you the appropriate medicines
How can you avoid heat stroke?
- When you step outside into the heat, carry an umbrella
- Wear light coloured cotton clothes preferably with long sleeves
- Drink water at frequent intervals
- Avoid going out between 11 AM and 3 PM when the sun’s intensity is the highest
Yet another common summer complaint for which pollen from flowers that blossom around this time of the year, are responsible is Allergies. These particles are very small, so they can easily enter your body through your nose and mouth if you come across them. Once they enter the body, your immune system combats them by releasing a chemical called histamine. This is when you get allergies.
What signs give away allergies?
- Frequent fits of sneezing
- Runny nose
- Watering eyes
- Respiratory distress
What will make allergies retreat?
- There are special anti-allergic medicines that your doctor can prescribe for you
- Green tea, liquorice root tea or teas made by boiling ginger or fennel seeds can effectively vanquish allergies
Can you prevent summer allergies?
- Wear an anti-pollution mask during the summer months
- Clean yourself up frequently and shower every day
- Drink plenty of fluids
Summer months are not just uncomfortable but can usher in a horde of diseases. But with the right precautions, you can combat them effectively and stay safe!