Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. The importance of the meal lies in the name of the meal itself – Break Fast. Your body needs to break its nightlong fast in order to function at an optimum level. What you have for breakfast directly translates into energy, not only for the first few hours of the day, but the entire day. Here are some reasons why you should eat breakfast:
1. Skipping Breakfast is bad for your memory
Want to boost your memory? In that case, you shouldn’t skip breakfast regularly, because if you do it adversely affect your short-term memory. This is because breakfast helps to supplement nutrient intake in your body during the morning. As a result, your body’s nutrient reserves are not depleted.
When your brain has all the nutrients it needs, it functions at its peak. This ensures that all information processed is retained, improving your short-term memory by a mile.
2. Skipping Breakfast depletes your energy
Your body uses energy constantly. You may think that you are conserving energy by simply sitting still but that is not the case. Your body uses energy to perform all basic functions like breathing, blinking, swallowing, digesting food, cleaning out toxins, and so on. Even thinking requires energy!
When you skip your breakfast, you are essentially forcing your body to dip into its energy reserves without supplementing those reserves.
3. Skipping Breakfast puts you in a sour mood
Many people feel they often wake up on the wrong side of the bed. However, did you know that your morning irritability may have less to do with your sleep and more to do with what you eat? Eating breakfast in the morning can help you stay positive throughout the day. A full tummy translates to a good mood and less depression.
4. Skipping breakfast causes obesity
This is one of the well-known effects of skipping breakfast. When you eat breakfast, you feel full. As a result, you are less likely to indulge in unhealthy snacking throughout the day. A study conducted by Harvard University showed that skipping breakfast causes obesity. Therefore, if you want to watch your weight and stay fit, do not skip this meal.
5. Skipping breakfast can cause heart disease
A study that was conducted by Columbia University shows that people who skip breakfast are more likely to develop problems like high cholesterol and heart disease, than people who do not skip this uber-important meal. Therefore, you should plan out your day in a way that includes time for this meal.
What’s something healthy to eat for breakfast?
Many people do not have the time in the mornings to cook breakfast, sit down, and eat. However, it is essential to make time. By looking at a few meal prep ideas for healthy breakfast options, you can make sure that your fridge is stocked throughout the week. This way, all you have to do is reheat something and be on your way!
Here are some easy to make healthy breakfast foods you should consider adding to your diet:
- Assorted fruits are quick and easy breakfast option that give you all the energy you need throughout the day. You can include anything you like from apples, bananas, pineapples, kiwis, mangoes, strawberries, blueberries – anything! In fact, bananas are immediate energy boosters, making them an ideal fruit for breakfast.
- Cereals are also a quick and easy. All you have to do is add some milk to your preferred cereal and munch away. If you have time, you can add honey, fruits, dry fruits, or anything else you like to customize the flavours.
- Protein meals. By using any leftover chicken or meat in your home to create sandwiches and store in your fridge, you can make sure that you have your breakfast for the week is sorted. All you need to do is create a mix of the protein with any sauce you like and stuff it between two slices of bread.
- Eggs are another great way to start your day. Egg yolk is power-packed with nutrients and you can boil, fry, or scramble them, as you like. It does not take a lot of time to cook eggs. While you’re waiting, add some bread to the toaster for a wholesome breakfast!