A healthy Body Mass Index is a fine and precarious line. If your BMI slides or shoots up, your body will be vulnerable to all kinds of disorders. And, that is why it is essential to find out what your ideal BMI is so that you can maintain it.
What is BMI?
Body Mass Index is a measure of an individual’s body fat in relation to her/his weight and height. Through it, you can find out if your current weight is healthy.
How Can You Calculate BMI?
To find out your healthy Body Mass Index, you need to know your height in feet/metres and weight in pounds/kilos. Then divide your weight by the square of your height.
For both men and women, the ideal BMI should be within the range of 18.5 and 24.9. Anything below or above this range is considered unhealthy. Also, ensure that your waistline is less than 80 cm (women) and 94 cm (men).
Remember, BMI is not a one-size-fits-all score as it depends on factors like age, height, gender, bone density etc. To find out if your BMI reading is healthy, you can talk to a doctor on MediBuddy.
What if You Don’t Maintain a Healthy Body Mass Index?
High BMI can lead to:
- High blood pressure
- Heart ailments
- Kidney problems
- Back and joint pain
- Loss of eyesight
- Respiratory ailments
Low BMI can lead to:
- Malnutrition, anorexia and nutrition deficiency
- Low bone density and even osteoporosis
- Malfunctioning immune system
- Irregular menstruation
- Infertility in both women and men
- Growth issues and eating disorders in children
How Can You Maintain a Healthy BMI?
Now that we have established why it’s important to attain a healthy BMI, you need to know a few simple ways that help you achieve a good reading.
To lower your BMI:
- Exercise: physical activities especially aerobic workouts can help you burn a large number of calories in a very short time. It also boosts your metabolism and that prevents the kilos from piling up.
- Eat healthily: limit your consumption of carbohydrates. Instead, eat plenty of green vegetables. Reduce your portion size and eat five times a day. That will speed up your digestion.
- Sleep: Get at least 7-9 hours of sleep every day. It restricts the production of the hormone that makes you hungry.
- Breakfast: to lose weight, never ever skip breakfast. This is the most important meal of the day. A healthy breakfast increases the body’s metabolic rate.
To raise your BMI:
- Calories: the easiest way to increase your BMI is to increase your calorie intake. So, your diet should consist of lots of cheese, butter, eggs, nuts, oily fish etc.
- Supplements: your dietician may prescribe diet pills to help you gain weight.
- Eat larger portions
Healthy Body Mass Index is the secret to a long healthy life. Committing to it means a life free of ailments.