The Zika virus disease is advancing rapidly and has spread to more than 20 countries. Here’s the information you need to in order to prevent its spread!
What is Zika virus?
The disease is spread to humans by the bite of Aedes aegypti mosquitoes. This is the same mosquito that also transmits dengue, chikungunya and yellow fever. People affected with Zika virus have a few symptoms.
What are the symptoms?
• Mild fever
• Skin rashes
• Headache or malaise
• Muscle and joint pain
Following are the complications caused by the virus currently under investigation.
• Guillain Barre syndrome (or, severe muscle weakness)
• Microcephaly (or, small head of new borne babies)
Is there a treatment?
There is currently no vaccine or treatment to cure the viral infection. However, supportive therapy medicines are used to provide symptomatic relief. Plenty of rest and ample fluid intake is advised for patients suffering from the infection. Here are a few tips for preventing the virus from affecting your family.
• Wear protective clothing when outdoors
• Use mosquito repellents on skin
• Sleep in air-conditioned rooms
• Use impregnated bed-nets in sleeping areas
• Secure windows and door screens
• Cover water containers
• Clean up old tires, cans, and barrels
• Follow guidelines if travelling to a transmission hit area
The outbreak of Zika virus has taken the world by surprise. The more we learn, the better we can prevent the infection from becoming yet another epidemic!